OSSI in the News – Popular Press and Trade Press Articles about or featuring OSSI
Open Source Success: Grow Varieties Bred for Organic Systems. Carol Deppe. January 2017. Acres USA
Join the Open Source Seed Movement. Carol Deppe. January 2016. Acres USA.
For Seed Rebels, Saving Life’s Building Blocks Has New Urgency. Twilight Greenaway. April 2017. Civil Eats
At Last the Seed: Can the Open Source Seed Initiative Be a Game-Changer? CR Lawn. Spring 2016. Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association
Let’s Take Back Our Garden Seeds. Margaret Roach. Mother Earth News.
Guaranteeing the Rights of Gardeners and Farmers to Save and Replant Seeds. Mike Dunton. Green Living Journal.
Linux for Lettuce. Lisa Hamilton. Virginia Quarterly Review.
- Montenegro de Wit, M. 2017. Beating the bounds: how does ‘open source’ become a seed commons? Journal of Peasant Studies.
- Madeleine-Thérèse Halpert, M. Jahi Chappell. 2017. Prima facie reasons to question enclosed intellectual property regimes and favor open-source regimes for germplasm. F1000 Research, 6:284. (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.10497.1)
- Luby, C.H., and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Freeing Crop Genetics through the Open Source Seed Initiative. PLOS Biology, 14(4).
- Luby, C.H., J. Kloppenburg, T.M. Michaels, and I.L. Goldman. 2015. Enhancing freedom to operate for plant breeders and farmers through open source plant breeding. Crop Science, 55 (3).
- Kloppenburg, J. 2013. Repurposing the Master’s Tools: The Open Source Seed Initiative and the Struggle for Seed Sovereignty. Conference paper for discussion at Food Sovereignty: A Critical Dialogue, International Conference at Yale University, September 14–15, 2013.
- Kloppenburg, J. 2010. Impending Dispossession, Enabling Repossession: Biological Open Source and the Recovery of Seed Sovereignty. Journal of Agrarian Change 10, no. 3: 367–388.
- Luby, C.H., and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Release of eight open source carrot (Daucus carota L. var. sativa) composite populations developed under organic conditions. HortScience, 51(4): 448-450.
- Luby, C.H., and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Improving freedom to operate in carrot breeding through the development of eight open source composite populations of carrot (Daucus carota L. var. sativus). Sustainability, 8(5).
Books of Interest
Carol Deppe. The Tao of Vegetable Gardening. Chelsea Green Publishing. White River Junction, VT. 2015.
Carol Deppe. The Resilient Gardener. Chelsea Green Publishing. White River Junction, VT. 2010.
Carol Deppe. Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties. Chelsea Green Publishing. White River Junction, VT. 1993.
Jack Kloppenburg. First the seed: The political economy of plant biotechnology, 1492-2000. 2nd ed. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press. 2004.
Essays on Open Source Seeds
The Open Source Seed Initiative Reseeds: An ethical commons grows in gifts and bounds. Frank Morton. Wild Garden Seeds Catalogue, 2016
What’s up with so-called public plant breeding. Andrew Still. Adaptive Seeds catalog, 2018